HOW TO WRITE A FORMAL LETTER, Letter writing is a conversation on paper. We write letters because we cannot discuss face to face with our correspondents and as a result, we do the discussion on paper. Today, I will be writing on how to write a formal letter.
A formal letter is one of the two types of letter writing in which a letter is written from an individual to an organization, an organization to an individual or an organization to an organization. The language of formal letter is impersonal because there is no personal relationship between the correspondents.
The Followings are format of How to write a formal letter
1. Writer’s address/ date: The Writer’s address is written on the top right hand side of the paper. The date is written a space below the address
1 Waziri Macedonia street
14th November, 2014.
2. Receiver’s address: The receiver’s address is written on the left hand side a line below the writer’s address. This begins with the tittle or designation of the receiver.
HOW TO WRITE A FORMAL LETTER
The Honourable Commissioner,
Ministry of Education,
3. Salutation: The salutation for formal letter is Dear Sir/Madam. If the gender is not known, “Dear Sir” will suffice. This written a line below the receiver’s address.
4. Heading: This is a synthesis of the content of the letter. It should be short and to the point. Also, it is advisable to write the heading in capital letters so as to save yourself the trouble of trying to determine which words are to be capitalized and which are not in such situations and this should apply to the headings or titles in other essay types. E.g
REQUEST FOR MY SSCE RESULT
PERMISSION TO GO FOR MEDICAL CHECKUP
REQUEST FOR THE PROVISION OF HEALTH FACILITY IN SAMARAUN KATAF
WHY STUDENTS PERFORM POORLY IN EXTERNAL EXAMINATION
5. Body: The body is divided into paragraphs. The first paragraph is used as introduction which states the main reason of you writing the letter and the last paragraph is used as conclusion which indicates the end and summary of the letter.
6. Complimentary close: The complimentary close is written at the bottom right hand side of the paper and followed by a comma.