New Vice Chancellor of Unizik, Prof. Charles Okechukwu Esimone, is the New Vice Chancellor, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
New Vice Chancellor of Unizik
Curriculum vitae professor esimone charles okechukwu house address
Prof. Charles O. Esimone
Prof. Charles O. Esimone
|PROFESSOR ESIMONE CHARLES OKECHUKWU|
|HOUSE ADDRESS.Plot 24/9,Ngozika Estate, Awka|
Anambra State, Nigeria.
Tel: +234 80 6283 5781
|OFFICE ADDRESS.Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka,|
PMB 5025, Awka
Tel: +234 80 6283 5781
- DATE OF BIRTH: 29th December , 1970
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Tiko, Cameroon
- OCCUPATION: Pharmacist and lecturer
- SEX: Male
- NATIONALITY: Nigerian
- MARITAL STATUS: Married
- HOME ADDRESS: Uruolu Village, Akwaeze, Anaocha LGA
Anambra State, Nigeria.
- LANGUAGES SPOKEN: FRENCH, ENGLISH, GERMAN.
- SCHOOLS ATTENDED WITH DATES:
i. St. Joseph’s Primary School, Tiko (Cameroon) 1976 – 1982. ii. St. Joseph College, Sasse, Buea (Cameroon) 1982 – 1987 iii. Cameroon College of Arts and Science, Kumba(Cameroon) 1988 – 1989 iv. University of Nigeria, Nsukka 1990 – 1995 v. University of Nigeria, Nsukka 1995 – 1998 vi. University of Nigeria Nsukka 1999 – 2002
- QUALIFICATIONS OBTAINED WITH DATES:
i. First School Leaving Certificate 1982 ii. G.C.E. O/Level 1987 iii. G.C.E. A/Level 1989 iv. Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm.) 1995 v. Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm.) in Pharmaceutics (Pharmaceutical Microbiology) 1998 vi. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)In Pharmaceutics (Pharmaceutical Microbiology) 2002
- WORKING EXPERIENCE:
- Internee Pharmacist, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria Nsukka. 1995 – 1996.
- Laboratory Instructor, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 1995 – 1996
- Pharmacist in – charge Mafozo, Pharmacy Ltd. Lokoja, Kogi State. 1996 – 1997
- Pharmacist, National Youth Service Corp (N.Y.S.C.) Orientation Camp Clinic, Kogi State. 1996
- Pharmacist, National Youth Service Corp (N.Y.S.C.) Secretariate Clinic, Lokoja, Kogi State 1996 – 1997
- Graduate Assitant, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 1997 – 1998
- Lecturer II, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- 1998 – 2001
- Lecturer I, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 2001– 2004.
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 2004 to 2007.
- Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Biotechnology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. 2007 to date.
- HONOURS AND GRANTS WON:
- Dr. Chiori Memorial Prize to the Best Final Year Student in Pharmaceutics for the 1993 / 94 Session.
- Departmental Prize to the Best Graduating Student in the Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria Nsukka for the 1993 / 94 Session.
- Distinction in Forensic Pharmacy, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 1993.
- Distinction in Sterile Technology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. 1995.
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka Senate Research Grant, 1999-2001
- Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship Award, Germany. 2003-2005.
- Visiting Scientist to the University of Pittsburgh, USA for the Development of Ad5 Vector-based Malaria Vaccine 2007-2008
- World bank Step-B grant to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 2008
- NFID Travel Grant Recipient to the 12th Annual Conference on Vaccine Research, Baltimore, MD, USA 2009
- American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) Travel Grant Recipient to the 1st West African Regional Workshop on the Cell Biology of Protozoan Pathogens, University of Ghana, Accra, July 2009.
- 2009 Award Winner in the Bright Ideas Contest of the African Network for Drugs and Diagnostics Innovation (ANDI), Cape Town, South Africa, October 2009.
- Young Professor Award of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN), Enugu State Chapter, October 2009
- 2009 Gold Mentor Award of the Young Pharmacists Group of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN), November 2009
- Outstanding Personality Award of the Association of Community Pharmacists of Nigeria (Anambra State Branch), May 2010
- 2010 Young Scientist representing Nigeria at the “Summer davos”/World Economic Forum Annual Meeting of New Champions, Tianjin, China, September 2010
- Travel Scholarship to attend the Royal Society Meeting on “New Vaccines for Global Health”, London, November 15th-17th, 2010.
- Member, of the 7-man committee (representing Africa) of the Young Scientists’ Ambassadors Programme (YSAP), 2010-to date
- Member, Global Young Academy, 2011
- UNECA Travel Grant to participate as a resource person for the “First International Workshop on Nanomedicine for Infectious Disease of Poverty” Magaliesberg, South Africa, March 27th– 31st , 2011
- Nominated as a participant for the International Deans’ Course Africa 2011/12 scheduled to hold in Berlin and Osnabrueck from June 19th-July 1st, 2011.
- Member of the 7-man Young Scientist Mentors Panel for the 2011 Young Scientists forum of the World Economic Forum scheduled to hold in Dalian, China from September 14-17 2011.
- Global Young Academy Travel grant to participate in the 3rd General Assembly of the GYA in South Africa (May 19-23, 2012)
- Global Young Academy Travel grant to participate in the 4th General Assembly of the GYA in Halle, Germany (May 14-19, 2013)
- Member, 5-man committee to ICGEB, Trieste, Italy for discussions on the manufacture of Biosimilars in Nigeria, June 19-21, 2013
- Recipient of the 2013 CV Raman International Fellowship for African Researchers to ICGEB, New Delhi, India
- Recipient of the Global Health Grant Fellowship of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to attend the EFIS-EJI Advanced course on Vaccinology/Immunology titled “Novel Vaccination Strategies against the three major killers” holding from 16 – 20 October 2013, at Castellammare di Stabia (Naples), Italy
- SELECTED CONFERENCES, SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS:
- Nzekwe IT, Okore VC and Esimone CO (2013). Polymeric Stabilisation and Conjugation of Gold Nanorods for Antibody Detection. Ist International Conference on Nanomedicine, held at the African University of Science and Technology, Abuja, Nigeria, 24th-28th November, 2013.
- Esimone CO (2011). Recombinant Viral Vectors as Probes for High Through-put Screening of Potential Antiviral Agents. A paper presented at the 5th Annual Conference of Nigerian Association of Pharmacists and Pharmaceutical Scientists in the Americas (NAPPSA), Sheraton Gateway Hotels, Los Angeles, California, USA, 15-18 September, 2011.
- Esimone CO (2011). Nanomedicine Research in Nigeria. 1st International Workshop on “Nanomedicine for Infectious Disease of Poverty” Magaliesberg, South Africa, March 27th– 31st , 2011
- Esimone CO (2011). Introduction to systematic review and meta-analysis. A public lecture presented at the 1st ISPOR Nigeria General Workshop held at Abuja, Nigeria, from 24th-26th of March, 2011
- Esimone CO (2011). Pharmacy Education and Practice in Nigeria: Challenges and the Way Forward. A public lecture delivered at the Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, USA, January 31st, 2011.
- Esimone COet al (2010). UNIZIK-ANDI Center of Excellence in Traditional Medicines. A poster presented at the 3rd ANDI Stakeholders’ meeting which held in Nairobi, Kenya from 10th – 13th October, 2010
- Esimone CO (2010). High throughput Vector-based assay technique for in vitro screening of antiviral medicinal plants. A public lecture delivered at the Nankai University, China, as a representation from the 2010 Young Scientists nominated for the 3rdAnnual Meeting of Champions (Summer Davos), Tianjin, China from September 13-16, 2010.
- Esimone CO (2010). Routine Health Tips for Farm Workers. A Lecture delivered at the 6th Biennial Agric Farm Managers Conference, Enugu, Nigeria, 6th-10th December, 2010.
- Udoh IP and Esimone CO (2010). Antibacterial Profile of Extracts of Combretum micranthum G. Don against Resistant and Sensitive Nosocomial Isolates. 2010 Annual Conference on Antimicrobial Resistance, Bethesda, Maryland, USA, February 1-3, 2010.
- Nworu CS, Okoye FBC, Temchura VV, Kamdem Toukam D, Tenbusch M, Esimone CO, Überla K (2010). Adjuvant Properties of AcF1, an immunostimulant fraction of Alchornea cordifolia extract, 58th International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Products Research, 29th August-2nd September 2010, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany; Planta Medica 12(76): 1360
Osadebe P, Kawamura A, Procksh P, Amal H, Abdessamad D, Nwodo J, Ajali U,
- Esimone CO, Nworu CS, Okoye T, Omeje E. (2010). Potent immunostimulatory and antioxidant activities of three (-) Catechin-O-rhamnosides from Eastern Nigeria mistletoe, 58th International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Products Research, 29th August-2nd September 2010, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany; Planta Medica 12(76): 1182.
- Esimone CO, Eck G, Nworu CS, Überla K, Procksh P (2010). Dammarenolic acid, a secodammarane triterpenoid from Aglaia sp shows potent anti-retroviral activity in vitro, 58th International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Products Research, 29th August-2nd September 2010, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany; Planta Medica 12(76): 1309.
- Esimone CO, Valderrama A, Onah DN,Steitz J, Herrera S and Gambotto A (2009). Development and Preclinical Evaluation of Ad5-based Plasmodium vivax Vaccines derived from the Blood Stage Merozoite Surface Protein 1 (MSP-1). 12th Annual conference on Vaccine Research, Baltimore, Maryland, April 27-29, 2009.
- Esimone CO, Eck G, Duong TN, Überla K and Proksch P (2008). Recombinant Viral Vectors as Suitable Surrogates for Antiviral Screening Studies. 2nd World Conference on Magic Bullets (Ehrlich II), Nürnberg, Germany, October 3–5, 2008.
- Nworu CS, Akah PA, Nwanegbo EC and Esimone CO (2008). Kolaviron, a Novel and Potentially Potent Vaccine Adjuvant. 11thAnnual conference on Vaccine Research, Baltimore, Maryland, May 5-7, 2008.
- Okoye FBC, Osadebe PO, Esimone CO, Proksch P, Nworu CS. Three anti-inflammatory stigmastane steroids from Alchornea floribunda leaves, 7th Joint Meeting of AFERP, ASP, GA, PSE & SIF held at Anthenaeum Intercontinental, Athens Greece from 3-8 August, 2008; Abstract number PA179.
- Onuigbo EB, Okore VC, Attama AA, Ngene A and Esimone CO (2008). Evaluation of a Cationic Liposome as Adjuvant for Newcastle Disease Vaccine. 11th Annual conference on Vaccine Research, Baltimore, Maryland, May 5-7, 2008.
- Esimone CO, Nworu CS, Adikwu MU and Akah PA (2007). Rational Vaccine Design: The Challenges of Adenoviral Vectors. A paper presented at the international conference on the Bioinformatics of African Pathogens and Disease Vectors, May 28-June 2, 2007, International Center of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Nairobi, Kenya.
- CO Esimone, NC Obitte, ME Egege and AN Onuorah. Evaluation of Polysorbate-20 Based Niosomal Formulations of Salicylic Acid. A paper presented at the 7th Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Association of Pharmacists in Academics (NAPA), ABU, Zaria, 19th-22nd July, 2006.
- ME Egege, EC Ibezim, CO Esimone, and KC Ugoeze. Comparative Study of the Antiseptic Properties of Some Commercial Medicated Soaps on Healthy Human Volunteers. A paper presented at the 7th Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Association of Pharmacists in Academics (NAPA), ABU, Zaria, 19th-22nd July, 2006.
- CO Esimone, EC Ibezim and PO Oleghe. Gross Microbial Contamination of Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPs) Marketed in Mid Western Nigeria. A paper presented at the 7th Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Association of Pharmacists in Academics (NAPA), ABU, Zaria, 19th-22nd July, 2006.
- CO Esimone, T Grunwald, S Kuate, B Tippler, P Proksch and K Überla. Broad spectrum antiviral fraction from the lichen Ramalina farinacea. Annual conference of the German Society for Virology, Hannover, Germany, March 16–19, 2005.
- CO Esimone, T Grunwald, O wildner, G Nchinda, B Tippler, Proksch P and K Überla. In vitro pharmacodynamic evaluation of antiviral medicinal plants using a vector-based assay technique. World Conference on Magic Bullets , Nürnberg, Germany, September 9–11, 2004.
- MU Adikwu, KC Ofokansi and CO Esimone. In vitro/in vivo availability studies on some brands of fixed ratio sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine combinations marketed in Nigeria. Proceedings of 4th National Workshop on Quality Assurance in the 3rdMillenium (Biopharmaceutical Methods in Drug Quality Assurance, Ibadan, Nigeria, 20th-24th August, 2001.
- KC Ofokansi, MU Adikwu, and CO Esimone. Detection of Diethylcarbamazine Citrate, Moclobemide and Promethazine Hydrochloride on Thin-Layer Plates Using Chloranilic Acid as the Locating Reagent in Non-Aqueous Media. Proceedings of 4thNational Workshop on Quality Assurance in the 3rd Millenium (Biopharmaceutical Methods in Drug Quality Assurance, Ibadan, Nigeria, 20th-24th August, 2001.
Esimone CO, Ibezim EC, Ezeugwu CO, Nworu, CS, Enoma C, Evaluation of
preservative properties of Aframonium meleguata oil extract (AMO) in Aqueous
- Cream, BP. A paper presented at 28th Annual Regional Conference of West African Society for Pharmacology (WASP/SOAP), Oct. 23-27th, 2001, University of Benin, Benin City.
- SC Udem, CO Esimone, OC Obinwa and PA Akah. Anti-inflammatory effects of extracts from the lichen Ramalina farinacea. Proceedings of the 38th Annual Congress of the Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association held in Topo, Badagary, Lagos State, Nigeria, 9th-13th October, 2001.
- CO Esimone, MU Adikwu and AA Attama. Interaction Studies between Paluther(R) and some Tetracycline congeners. 5thannual conference of the Nigerian Association of Academic Pharmacist. (NAAP), Kano, Nigeria. (November 1998).
- MU Adikwu and CO Esimone. Susceptibility of Tetracycline–and Ampicillin–resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus and Salmonella typhi to bioactive column fractions from the lichen Ramalina farinacea (L) Ach. Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. (September,1998)
- CO Esimone and MU Adikwu. Antimicrobial properties of a fruticose Lichen, Ramalina farinacea (L) Ach. 25th annual conference of the West African Society for Pharmacology (WASP), Zaria, Nigeria. (October 1998)
- CO Esimone. Drug Abuse and Health Issues. A paper presented at Bishop Shannahan Hospital, Nsukka, Nigeria (August1998).
- MU Adikwu, CO Esimone, and AA Attama. Assessing the impact of “comparative advantage reversal” by multinational companies on the Pharmaceutical industries in Nigeria. A paper presented at the 6th annual Workshop of the African Technology Policy studies (ATPS) Network, Banjul, The Gambia, 3rd – 6th November, 1999.
Papers xxx – xlii were presented at the 26th Annual Conference of the West African Society for Pharmacology (WASP) held at the University of Nigeria Nsukka from October 20th – 23rd , 1999.
- SI Ezeabasili, CO Esimone, MU Adikwu, AA Attama and GB Okide. Preliminary Antimicrobial screening of extracts from the root of Olax viridis
- EC Ibezim, CO Esimone and OO.Ndu. Synergistic Co–trimoxazole/tetracycline combinations against a clinical isolate of S. typhi.
- VC Okorie and CO Esimone. Combined activity of Metronidazole and some antibiotics against Eschericha coli and Salmonella spp.
- MU Adikwu, CO Esimone and MN Nwodo. Antimicrobial properties of Leaf extracts of some indigenous plants.
- CS Nworu, CO Esimone, GB Okide, MI Okeke and CU Iroegbu. The use of checkerboard Assay, Decimal Assay for Additivity and Overlay Inoculums methods in evaluating interactions between ciprofloxacin and Ampicillin against Staphylococcus aureus(ATCC 11775) in vitro.
- CO Esimone, CO Okoli, CO Ezeugwu, MU Adikwu, MI Okeke and DB Uzuegbu. Comparative evaluation of the Antimicrobial properties of Tea extracts.
- CO Esimone, MU Adikwu and OO Ndu. Invitro potentiation of Flouroquinolone Activity by Artemeter.
- MI Okeke, CU Iroegbu, AS Okoli, CO Esimone, EN Eze, EU Okosa and GC Ekwueme. Antimicrobial activity of extracts of Citrus limmon, Cleistopholis patens, Landolphia owerrience and Securidaca longiedunculata.
- GB Okide, MU Adikwu, CO Esimone and GA Awemu. Hematological Effects of methaholic extracts of Azadirachta indicaleaves in Rats.
- GB Okide, MU Adikwu, CO Esimone and GA Awemu. Effects of crude Neem alcoholic extracts on Blood Chemistry of Rats.
- GB Okide, WU Obonga and CO Esimone. Stability studies on a Syrup Formulation of Cannabis sativa Crude resins.
- WU Obonga, PO Udeogaranya, C Iweala, CO Esimone and SC Udedi.Preliminary investigation into the antimicrobial and Analgesic properties of the methanolic extract of premna quadrifolia.
- OO Ndu, CO Esimone, JM Okonta and FC Ohiri. Hypoglycaemic effects of an aqueous extract of the African Mistletoe in Alloxan – Induced Diabetic Rabbits
- PUBLICATIONS: See attached list.
- Number of Undergraduate Projects Successfully Supervised: Over 200
- Number of Postgraduate Projects Successfully Supervised: over 30 (8 PhDs and over 28 MSc/M.Pharm):
PG Students Successfully Supervised (Beginning with most recent)
- Oli, Angus Nnamdi (PhD, 2014)
- Ihekwereme Chibueze (PhD, 2014)
- Odimegwu Damian Chukwunonso (PhD, 2014)
- Danga, Simmon-Pierre (University of Ngoundere, Cameroon, PhD, 2014)
- Younoussa Lamme (University of Ngoundere, Cameroon, PhD, 2014)
- Nzekwe Ifeanyi T (PhD, since 2013)
- Udoh Iniekong Philip (PhD, 2013)
- Ogbonna Anayo (Ph.D, 2010)
B) M. Pharm/M.Sc
- Amadi, Oluchi M (M.Sc, 2014)
- Chukwunwejim-Nwezi, Chidima (M.Pharm, 2014)
- Chinenye Chimezie (M.Sc, 2014)
- Oghonyon Eddison I(M.Sc, 2014)
- Egbuna Roselyn Nneka (M.Sc, 2014)
- Onyia Chukwuebuka Felix (M.Sc, 2014)
- Uchendu Iheanacho O (M.Sc, 2014)
- Ezeike Amarachi (M.Sc, 2014)
- Ezeifeanyi Chioma Nnenna (M.Sc, 2013)
- Ebenebe Ijeoma Ngozi (M.Sc, 2013)
- Chigozie Uchenna Victor (M.Sc, 2012)
- Chukwuma Godwin (M.Sc, 2012)
- Ejikeugwu, Ebiye Peter Chika (M.Sc, 2012)
- Eze, Peter Maduabuchi (M.Sc, 2012)
- Ujam, Nonye Treasure (M.Sc, 2012)
- Duru, Carissa Ijeoma (M.Sc, 2012)
- Igbonekwu, Chinyere J (M.Sc, 2012)
- Ikegbunam Moses Nkechukwu (M.Sc, 2011)
- Obodo, John (M.Sc, 2011)
- Malachi Ugwu (M. Pharm, 2010)
- Onochie Ifeyinwa (M. Pharm, 2010)
- Salamatou Mundi (M.Sc, 2010)
- Adonu Cyril (M.Sc, 2010)
- Eze Christopher O (M.Sc, 2009)
- Ruth Afunwa (M.Sc, 2009)
- Anejionu Miriam G (M.Sc, 2009)
- Udoh Iniekong Philip (M.Sc, 2006)
- Egamana Amguti Emmanuel (M.Sc, 2006)
- Selected Courses/Topics Taught at the Postgraduate Level:
- Design, Formulation and Evaluation of Sterile Products
- Pharmaceutical Packaging
- Advanced Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Advanced General Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Evaluation of Antimicrobial Agents
- Animal Models for Infectious Diseases
- Selected Courses Taught at the Undergraduate Level:
- Dispensing (200 level)
- Introduction to Pharmaceutical Microbiology (200 level)
- Biopharmaceutics (300 level)
- Advanced Pharmaceutical Microbiology (400 level)
- Advanced Dispensing : Dispensing of Sterile Products (400 level)
- Pharmacokinetics (400 level)
- Forensic Pharmacy (400 level)
- Sterile Products Technology (300 Level)
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (300 and 500 Levels)
- Evaluation of Antimicrobial Agents (400 level)
- Microbial Resistance to Antimicrobial Agents (500 level)
- Biopolymers and their Pharmaceutical applications (500 level)
- Reviewer for the Following International and National Journals :
- Current Microbiology (Germany)
- Current Drug Delivery (Australia)
- Journal of Herbs and Spices (USA)
- Pharmaceutical Biology (USA)
- Scientific Research and Essays (Kenya)
- African Journal of Biotechnology (Kenya)
- African Journal of Infectious Diseases (Nigeria)
- J. Bioresearch and Biotechnology (Nigeria)
- Plant Product Research Journal (Nigeria)
- African Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Drug Development (Nigeria)
- Journal of Pharmaceutical and Allied Sciences (Nigeria)
- Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences (Macedonia)
- African Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacy (USA)
- African Journal of Microbiology Research (Africa)
- Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials (Nigeria)
- Journal of Medicinal Plant Research (Nigeria
- Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy (Nigeria)
- CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- Screening of Lichens, Ferns, indigenous Nigerian Herbs and Spices for antimicrobial (antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral) activity.
- Evaluation of nosocomial and community-acquired resistance pattern amongst bacteria
- Quality control of Pharmaceutical Dosage forms marketed in Nigeria.
- Bioavailability studies of various antibiotic brands marketed in Nigeria
- In vitro and in vivo evaluations of herb-drug, drug-drug and food-drug interaction between antibiotics and some commonly co-administered herbs, drugs or food.
- Evaluation of the microbial purity of bottled water and non-sterile Pharmaceutical /herbal medicinal products marketed in Nigeria.
- Study of synergy between various antibiotic combinations.
- Toxicological evaluations of indigenous medicinal plants.
- Development of biotechnological products such as vaccines for tropical diseases
- MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, Nigeria
- West African Society for Pharmacology, Nigeria
- Society for Medicinal Plant Research, Germany
- Pan African Medical Mycology Society, South Africa.
- International Society for Anti-infective Pharmacology.
- Institute of Public Analysts of Nigeria
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Global Young Academy
- Nanomedicine Society of Nigeria (Pioneer President and Board member)
- Materials Society of Nigeria
- Nigerian Society of Forensic Scientist (Pioneer member of Board of Directors)
- ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE/ SERVICE TO THE SOCIETY
- Secretary to the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the 26th annual Conference of the West African Society for Pharmacology (WASP) December 1998 to October 1999.
- SIWES Co-ordinator, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNN 2002-2003
- Secretary, Alumni Association of the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Nigeria 2005 to date.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Allied Sciences
- Chairman, non-professional course collation, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNN (2006)
- Chairman, Faculty week committee, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNN (2006)
- Chairman Faculty Postgraduate Board, UNN, August 2006 to 2007
- Faculty Rep, University Senate Entrance Board, UNN, August 2006 to 2007
- Faculty Rep, University Grant Writing Committee, UNN, August 2006 to 2007
- Co-ordinator, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences Spectrophotometry and Analysis Unit, UNN, August 2006 to 2007
- Pioneer Dean Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka October 2009 to June, 2014.
- Head, Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka: 2010 to June 2014
- Returning Officer, Anambra Central Senatorial Election, April 9th and 26th, 2011.
- Member, Governing Council, Pharmacists Council of Nigeria, 2010 to 2014
- Member, Governing Council, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, 2013 to date
- Member, Board of the Nanomedicine Society of Nigeria, 2012
- National President of the Nanomedicine Society of Nigeria (November, 2013)
- Chairman Nnamdi Azikiwe University Biomedical Research Committee (2013 till date)
- Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic), Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, June 2014 to date
- ACADEMIC LEADERSHIP QUALITY
- External Examiner to ABU, Zaria, University of Benin, University of Jos, Jos, University of Port Harcourt, University of Lagos, Niger Delta University and Ebonyi state University, Abakaliki
- Successfully supervised over 30 Postgraduate students (8 PhD and 28) MSc/MPharm); currently supervising over 50 postgraduate students (10 PhD and 40 MSc/Mpharm)
- Member of National Universities Commission (NUC) and Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN) Accreditation Panels
- Member of the interview panel for Foreign- Trained Pharmacists
- Associate Editor of African Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacy
- Attracted StepB Research Grant to UNN in 2007/2008
- Attracted the Poverty Related Disease (PRD) College research Grant for my Doctoral Student (Mr Chibueze Ihekwereme)
- Initiated the joint grant with Dr Remi Agu of Dalhousie University, Canada for the Research training of our junior academic staff who are undertaking their doctoral programme. So far 4 academic staff have benefited from the 6-month training in Dalhousie University, Canada from 2010-2013.
- Initiated the Exchange programme between the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University and the Skaagg’s School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SSPPS), San Diego, California. So far 3 students from SSPPS came in 2012 and 2 came in 2013 to undertake their Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience, which is a 6-credit unit course under my tutelage.
- Initiated the commencement of Forensic Sciences programme in UNIZIK in collaboration with the Nebraska Institute of Forensic Sciences, USA
- Attracted the African Doctoral Dissertation Research Fellowship/International Development Research Centre grant for the PhD Research of my Student (Angus Oli)
- Collaborating partner with the University of Jos (Principal Investor for UNIZIK) on the 8 million dollar World Bank African Centre of Excellence Grant to the University of Jos in 2013.
- Collaborating partner with the African University of Science and Technology (Principal Investor for UNIZIK) on the 8 million dollar World Bank African Centre of Excellence Grant to the African University of Science and Technology in 2013.
- Pioneer National President of the Nanomedicine Society of Nigeria (November, 2013).
- TITLES OF PROJECTS, DISSERTATION AND THESIS
- Ph.D Thesis: In vitro and in vivo Interaction of Three Natural Antimicrobial Adaptogens with Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics (April 2002)
- M. Pharm Dissertation: Antimicrobial Properties of Extracts from the Lichen, Ramalina farinacea (L) ACH. (Fam: Ramalinaceae) (May 1998).
- B. Pharm Project: Release properties of Sodium Salicylate from Microcapsules prepared with Polymerised Latex from Landolphia dulcis (June, 1995).
|Vice chancellor,University of Abuja, Abuja, NigeriaE-mail: email@example.com|
|Department of Mechanical,Engineering University of Nigeria Nsukka.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department of Pharmaceutical Technology & Industrial PharmacyUniversity of Nigeria, NsukkaE-mail: email@example.com|
|Department of Molecular and Medical Virology, Ruhr-University, Bochum,Germany.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
PUBLICATION LIST OF PROF. CHARLES OKECHUKWU ESIMONE.
A)BOOKS / CHAPTERS INBOOKS
- Damian Chukwu Odimegwu, Thomas Grunwald and Charles Okechukwu Esimone (2011). Anti-Respiratory Syncytial Virus Agents from Phytomedicine, Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection, Bernhard Resch (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-718-5, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/anti-respiratory-syncytial-virus-agents-from-phytomedicine
- Ngwoke KG, Odimegwu DC and Esimone CO (2011). Antimicrobial Natural Products. In: Science against microbial pathogens: communicating current research and technological advances. A. Méndez-Vilas (Ed). Formatex Publishers, pp 1011-1026.
- Nworu CS, Nwanegbo EC, Esimone CO (2009). Natural Biopolymers in Gene therapy Delivery, In: Biopolymers in Drug Delivery: Recent Advances and Challenges, Adikwu MU and Esimone CO (eds). Bentham Science Publishers Ltd: UAE, pp. 57-62. Available at http://www.bentham.org/ebooks/9781608050789/contents.htm. doi:10.2174/97816080507891090101; eISBN: 978-1-60805-078-9, 2009.
- Attama A. A. and Esimone C. O. (2009). Introducing polymers. In: Polymers and Polymer Applications, A. A. Attama and C. O. Esimone (Eds.), Jolyn Pub., Nsukka, pp. 1 – 4.
- Esimone CO (2008). Herb-drug interactions: Emerging issues in the rational application of African ethnomedicine. In Ethnopharmacology. Peter A. Akah (Ed). Research Signpost, Kerala, India, pp 1-15.
- Esimone CO and Kuate S (2007). Recombinant Retroviral Vectors as Model Probes for Antiviral Screening Studies. In Genetic Vectors Research Focus. Pablo S. Ruiz (Ed). Nova Science Publishers, New York, pp 177-203.
- Esimone CO and Uzuegbu DB (2004) Evaluation of Antimicrobial Agents. In: Laboratory Techniques in Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Microbiology.Vincent C. Okore (Ed). El ‘DEMAK Publishers, Enugu, pp97-112.
- Okore VC, Esimone CO and Ofokansi KC (2004) Sterile Products. In: Laboratory Techniques in Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Microbiology. Vincent C. Okore (Ed). El ‘DEMAK Publishers, Enugu, pp113-132.
- Ibezim, E.C., Adikwu, M.U., Okore, V.C., Attama, A.A., Esimone, C.O., Uzuegbu, D.B. and Ofokansi, K.C. (2001): Techniques in Pharmaceutics. Enugu. EL’Demak Publishers. 147 pp.